Tuesday, October 20, 2009

To alcohol, the cause of...consuming many calories :)

Yesterday, one of my readers and FB friend posted a comment stating that she indulged in a high caloric beverage called Voodoo Juice while in the Virgin Islands. I do not blame her. If I ever get to the Virgin Islands, you better believe I will be trying this drink. The name alone is very appealing and leaves me to believe that, after consuming many of these, you will be in a position take out aggression on an enemy with the use of a pin doll :).

This comment also got me thinking about the calories consumed while drinking, and I'm not just talking about alcohol. Whenever I have dieted, the focus has always been on the food. I've always tried to pay attention to what I'm eating, but I haven't thought about what I'm drinking. Now, my daily beverage consumption consists primarily of coffee and water with an occasional soda or lemonade thrown in to spice things up. I also like to drink alcohol and will frequently consume either beer or wine on the weekends. What I haven't done, and what I need to do, is plan for the extra calories I will consume when I drink. I do try to stick more with light beer, but when I go out I like to try new beers (and I am not a fan of Bud Light or Miller Lite, although I can tolerate Miller more than Bud). So, if I go out with friends and have 3-4 beers, I can consume as many calories as I would if I had a meal. This is food for thought (sorry, bad pun). So the dilemma is this, I don't plan on quitting alcohol altogether, but I do have to plan. I need to ensure that I haven't gone completely over my allotted calorie intake for the day before I drink that first beer and I need to think about how many I can have without blowing it. Wow, healthy living and losing weight truly is hard work! :)

So, that is my next step. I will continue to pay attention to what I'm taking in and I will try to plan my weekends a little better. :)

I lost 0.6 pounds yesterday, not exactly making up for the 2 pounds I gained last week, but a step in the right direction. Stuck to my food plan yesterday and did not eat anything completely horrible. I did have a slice of German chocolate cake Sunday night that I forgot to write about yesterday.

Thank you to all who read and leave encouraging comments. They mean a lot to me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment