Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Thoughts on fall

Well, it's that time of year again. The air is getting crisp, the leaves are starting to change (at least if you live up north. If you live in Florida, it is still hot and super humid and I'm beginning to wonder if global warming is real), and it's fall. I love the fall. I miss living up north during this time of year because it was still warm enough where you didn't need a coat, but it was cool enough to wear sweatshirts and sweaters.

The other thing I love about fall, pumpkins. I love the taste of pumpkin. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin soup, pumpkin ice cream (I think you get the picture). I try to stay away from some of the sweet pumpkin stuff, but it is not always easy. So you can imagine how I felt when I walked into McDonald's the other day to get a side salad and saw a sign on the menu board that said "now serving pumpkin milkshakes". Let me back up a moment and tell you that there is a McDonald's within walking distance to my office. Not to worry, I don't go there every day, but when I either don't have time to make a small salad for myself, or I haven't had time to go grocery shopping for veggies, $1.07 is a bargain for a decent salad. But I digress. So all last week I kept thinking about this milkshake. I really, really wanted to try it because I knew it was going to taste good, but I never had the chance. You would think with McDonald's being so close to work that I would have had three or four of these milkshakes by now, but no. I still haven't tried one and, to be honest, I've stopped obsessing about them. It's funny how the mind works. I was pretty focused on the pumpkin milkshake until Friday, when the whole idea of trying a pumpkin milkshake just left my mind. Don't worry readers, I have lost the desire to run to McDonald's and get a pumpkin milkshake, so who knows if I'll try one. I will say this, if I do I will write about it. :)

Happy Fall (lets hope the weather cools down soon!)

3 comments:

  1. See, this is one of the reasons why I don't want to go to McDonalds at all anymore, even for their salads (which are really good), because I am always tempted by something and usually will give in.

    I wonder what a homemade pumpkin milkshake would taste like. I bet you could make one with some low fat vanillia ice cream, some canned pumpkin, and some pumpkin pie spice. I bet it would be pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea. I may have to try that and let you know how it tastes. :)

    ReplyDelete