Saturday, January 30, 2010

Fear and Self-Loathing in Sarasota

Hello fellow eaters. This edition of Don't Eat That will either show that I am fairly normal because other people have done the same thing or that I am absolutely crazy. Read on to find out more...



The other night I was looking at myself in the mirror while I was brushing my teeth and I started thinking about my goals in life. I'm pretty happy with the progress I've made in my career, but my financial goals and my weight loss goals, not so much. In those areas, I feel like I'm constantly moving one step forward and 10 to 20 steps back. So I started to become frustrated with myself and my two sides, the therapist side and the client side, came out. Now, as a therapist, my job is to help guide the client towards reaching his or her goal. One way to do that is to confront the client with his or her own words and actions as a way of helping them see how they are blocking the way to their goals. So the therapist side of my brain began telling the client side of my brain that what I am doing is not working. Continuing to behave the way that I have been is not going to get me where I want to go. I reminded myself that the definition of insanity is when you continually behave one way and believe it will lead to a different result. That is what I've been doing. I don't know why, but I seem to think that I can continue to eat what I want and exercise half-heartedly and lose weight. Meanwhile, I have a freezer full of Jenny Craig meals that I know if I eat and follow the plan, I will loose weight. The same thing goes with my money. Bills will not go away if I ignore them. On the contrary, the phone will ring off the hook with people from India who go by the name of Bill (and you know that is not their real name) on the other line asking for credit card payments and wanting to know why you fell behind. I really am tired of both of these things and it is time I did something about it. The therapist side of my brain said, "You've said this before and yet, here you are in the same place and nothing has changed." "That's not true," the client side said, "I've lost some weight." "But you haven't lost enough and, frankly, I'm tired of being in the 260s. It's time for a real change and not just lip service." The therapist side is right, of course. There is something that continually holds me back. I haven't completely figured out what it is, but I really need to do some searching and find out why I just can't seem to make certain changes stick.

I also really need to look into some real therapy. Going between two different sides of my brain is beginning to make me feel a little schizophrenic. So, the quest to loose weight and make positive changes for myself continues. I do believe I will move off this plateau that I am on and begin to move again. Also, some new options have opened up on the financial front and I do believe I will be out of the red very soon.

I shall keep you posted. Also, if anyone else ever has these kinds of discussions with themselves, please let me know. It would be nice to know that I am not so strange. Also, I am taking suggestions for good therapists in the Sarasota area, preferably ones who specializes in dealing with multiple personalities. :)

Until next time, keep working towards your goals and keep eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment