Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Disappointment

Well it's week three into the new year and, so far, I'm doing pretty well in the weight loss arena. If you remember, in my last post, I informed everyone that I gained 8 pounds over Christmas. Well, so far, I've lost 4 pounds, 3 last week and 1 this week. So I'm back on the right track and feeling pretty good about myself. I'm also feeling good about the way I am handling things in my life. The title of this blog is disappointments and I experienced a big one last week. Now, to me, disappointment means when something you want pretty badly doesn't work out the way you would like. It could involve work, a relationship, a planned trip, it doesn't matter. It is just something that you were hoping for that does not occur. In the past, I would handle disappointment by eating my weight in ice cream (well, not exactly, but you get the point). Food has always been my comforter. I don't know why, but there is something very soothing about eating, especially eating something you really enjoy. Well I realize that it is not healthy or good for weight loss to gorge on sweet, fattening treats just because I'm upset. So when I faced a major disappointment last week, I turned to friends instead of food. You know what, I received that same feeling of comfort from talking to my friends as I felt when I ate. The good part is that I don't consume any calories when I talk to my friends. In fact, I probably burn some because I don't just talk with my mouth, I also use my hands and arms. Also, by talking to friends, I was able to work through my hurt and disappointment and I have begun to feel better. So talking things out is definitely better for me than eating (who knew?) So, to all my friends who allowed me to chew their ears off as I worked through my feelings last week, thanks! You guys are awesome and really kept me from going off the deep end (in regards to food, personally, I fell off the deep end years ago). I also want to thank everyone for reading. Writing this blog has really helped me identify my food triggers and has kept me honest about my weight loss. Who knows, if I wasn't writing this blog, I may have eaten my weight in ice cream last week instead of handling things in a more healthy way. So, for all of you who have faced disappointments or are currently trying to get over one, keep your chin up and don't be afraid to talk. This too shall pass. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment