Friday, February 3, 2012

Blah!

I have the winter blahs.  Yes, I know, I live in Florida and I'm sure many of you are wondering how I can have the winter blahs when I live in the Sunshine State, where the temperature rarely drops below 30 degrees.  Well I do.

I think part of my problem is that I'm stuck.  Stuck in a rut.  I'm stuck in a rut that is only going to get worse now that I am working from home because I will be spending a lot of time in my house.  Not at an office, interacting with others.  Not having a purpose to really care about what I'm wearing, how my hair looks, and whether or not I have make up on.  Now, I am not at this state yet, but if I don't do something to change the rut I soon will be.

A big part of my issue is that I've stopped taking care of myself.  A few years ago I use to work out 5 days a week.  I worked with a personal trainer, I did weights, cardio, classes, you name it.  Now, I barely get out and walk and it has been months since I stepped into a gym.  Also, I stopped going to Weight Watchers meetings.  I think I subconsciously decided to stop after the realization set in that I will be a member for one year this month and I still weigh pretty close to the same weight I did when I started.

What happened?  Where did my motivation go?  Is it really that much easier to sit on the couch and watch tv as it is to get on the treadmill or eliptial machine and watch tv?  There was a time when I use to watch a lot of tv while working out, and I felt good about it.  Now, not so much.

So, what to do about it...  I could continue to whine, but that is not going to do me any good.  This week I heard someone say, in order to snap someone out of a mood and get them to face the problem is to ask "What are you going to do about it?"  So I've asked myself that question, and you know what, it worked.  The little pity party I was having in my head stopped.  The ideas of blaming my current situation on someone else stopped.  I like to consider myself a bright woman, so I really know what to do and have no one to blame but myself.

So today I will rejoin the gym where I use to work out, the one I went to 5 days a week and took advantage of the classes, the indoor track, and all the things it had to offer.  Then I will start going.  I want to try a spin class and I want to swim.  I also want to work myself back into running.  I may possibly be one of the few people out there who is re-starting the Couch to 5K app for the third time, but it doesn't matter.  What matters is I know what I need to do to get out of the blahs.  I know what I need to do to feel good about myself and I'm going to start doing it, because if I don't take care and make myself feel good, no one will.

So here is a little taste of what it is like down here in Sarasota.  February and March are great times to come visit, if anyone is interested. 

This is a photo of Siesta Key Beach in Sarasota, even more beautiful in person.

Happy February everyone!  Avoid the winter blahs. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment