Friday, May 4, 2012

What goes up...

Isaac Newton wrote his theory of gravity in the late 17th century, which basically stated, what goes up inevitably must come down.  I've been thinking a lot about this theory over the past week.  No, I am not planning to test the theory of gravity because I firmly believe it exists.  I was thinking about things going up and down after weighing in at my Weight Watchers meeting to discover I went up 1.4 pounds this week.

Now this may not seem like a lot, but I was sad and frustrated with myself when I got on the scale.  At first, I couldn't figure out what I did to cause the gain.  But when I looked back on what I ate and drank the week before, I could see what happened.  I guess that's the beauty of tracking what you eat, you can see where you screwed up.

Like everything in life, I know weight loss has it's ups and downs and it can be difficult to maintain momentum when facing a gain, even a small one.  What I discovered this week is it is not what is on the scale that is important, but the commitment to change.  Just like gravity pulls things back down to the ground, my weight will also go down if I stay committed to eating healthy and exercising.  I know I will have weak moments where I will overindulge, the key is to get right back on track and not allow myself to fall apart because I strayed off track.

This is true not just with weight loss, but with any goal that we set for ourselves.  There will be times when things go off track or don't work out the way we plan.  As long as we can pick ourselves up and get right back on track, we will eventually reach our goal.

So, if you've gone up and off course in your own journey, just remember Newton's theory and the idea that things will eventually fall back into place.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment